Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dog Days Of Summer



Here's my first real shot at garage rock.  I've been listening a lot lately to The Replacements and I wanted to record a song that had a similar pre-grunge alternative, unpolished sound to it...I do unpolished particularly well.  I've also been listening a lot lately to bands like the Drive-By Truckers.  I wanted to try and replicate that same 3 guitar attack that they, in turn, borrowed from the classic rock giants of the 70s.  I also threw in a little mandolin to country it up a notch or two.  Here's a rundown of the instrumentation:

Drums - I'm playing an electronic set and recording as midi
Guitar 1 - no distortion but with a slight phaser effect
Guitar 2 - heavy distorion and reverb
Guitar leads - heavy distortion and tremolo
Bass - all midi generated
Mandolin - Just a little reverb
Vocals - lots of reverb and compression

I used compression on nearly every track to get this sucker as loud as possible.   It just isn't garage rock if it doesn't leave you with your ears ringing.

I hope you enjoy.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment