Monday, April 9, 2012

Dirt Lanes



"These highways will take you anywhere you want to go.  But the dirt lanes and the back roads will always take you home."



Dirt Lanes is my attempt at a classic country waltz.   Lyrically, I don't have much of a back story for this one.  Its been floating around in my head for a few years and I finally committed it to paper just as I was getting ready to start recording.  I recorded a melody for this song on several instruments and somehow ended up using them all.  I finally picked up a keyboard so I was able to add a true organ sound rather than a midi one.  In fact, the only midi on this track is the bass line.  One of these days I'll get a bass guitar and then I'll be able to record the whole thing "live" (i.e. no midi).  Here's the lineup for the track:


Vocals - slight EQ and Reverb...otherwise completely natural
Acoustic Guitar - slight EQ and Reverb...otherwise completely natural
Bass - Midi generated
Organ - I used my newly acquired Casio CTK with an organ tone.  I then added a tremolo effect after the recording to simulate a Hammond / Leslie sound.
Piano -  Same as above, just used some sort of piano on the Casio.
Mandolin - That's me playing through a microphone
Lead Guitar - Going for the telecaster sound.  I used a couple of pedal effect pre-recording...reverb and tremolo.
Drums - That's actually me playing live.  I found a voice on my DM-8 for the great rim shot.  

Hope you enjoy.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment