Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Luck and Gravity (version 2)





A few weeks ago, I posted an original mix of this song. Well, I wasn't very happy with how it came out and, frankly, I've been a little unsure about whether or not to even keep it on the site.   After a few weeks, and working on other songs in the interim, I decided to take another pass at mixing and editing the song.  So, I present to you version 2.  I considered simply replacing the old file with thew new but decided against it.   Since this is a songwriting blog, I decided to show a part of the process. 

Here's an overview of what I changed:
1.  I slowed the song down by a few percentage points. The song was originally recorded at 100%.  Version 1 was sped up to 118% and this version is 114%.
2.  I pulled back the drum fills and start them later in the song.  I felt like they were too distracting in the beginning of the song.
3.  I removed some of the dual lead areas.  I think one is still left in, but the others just focus on either mandolin or guitar but not both.
4.  I added compression and a master limiter to get more volume.
5.  I added a flanger effect to the acoustic guitar to give it a nice roving feel.  I dialed it back though so as not to overpower the rest of the parts..
6.  I added some chorus effects to the vocals
7.  I adjusted the general EQ of the individual pieces
8.  I created a double of the acoustic guitar track. I then EQ'd out all but the low end frequencies.  This helps compensate (I hope) for the fact that I don't have a bass part in the song. 

I think that's it.  What do you think?  Can you tell the difference?

Also, here's a copy of the lyrics:
Hey Girl, where'd you go
I ain't the same boy you used to know
things have changed, those times are gone
Its left us here all alone

But I ain't afraid to hit town
in the middle of the night
And I ain't about to let you say
that what i'm telling you ain't right

(chorus)
I say Romeo, he ain't got nothing on me
Juliet, she ain't the girl, we always thought she'd be.
That whirlwind keeps us spinning many miles above the ground
And its only luck and gravity that keeps us coming back around, to this town.

I dreamed I saw you walking in the rain
Standing there alone I saw you calling out my name
I know that things are different then they were back in those days
I find some comfort knowing things they'll never stay the same

(chorus)

After all the things that we've been through
Did you know that I still think of you sometimes.
After all the things that we've been through
Did you know that I still think of you sometimes.

These paradigms of self and time lay lost along the way
And our only price for heaven is the hell we have to pay

(chorus)

Words and Music copyright 2012 - Bonus Room Music

No comments:

Post a Comment