Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Weddings & Funerals



Weddings & Funerals is a song that I've been kicking around in my head since I was about 16.  The story of the song is as true as i can remember things that far back.  Some songs are very literal and direct, others are more abstract. There's nothing really abstract about this one...just a story about the way things go. 

Musically, I've gone through numerous revisions of how I wanted it to sound.  I got pretty far with a full band recording of the tune...distorted guitars, bass, drums...etc.  I was going for full alt-country glory.  But, at the end of the day, I just wasn't happy with the sound.  In a moment of frustration, I just decided to record it straightforward and acoustic.  I then added the effects-heavy guitar part in the background and a single-string electric guitar lead part.  Thanks to my Reaper mentor, Andrew, I was able to get the vocal tones mixed a bit more to my liking.  I still have a very, very long way to go with recording and mixing...but I think I'm on the right road.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the song.  Leave me any comments or thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment